[CS-FSLUG] How do I fix screen configuration from the command line? Thank you!

Ruth Marlene Friesen Bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Thu Nov 17 17:13:12 CST 2005

Hi there, Ed, Ciaran, and others!
My conscience has been accusing me of being like the 9 lepers that didn't come
back to say Thank you!

You may recall that earlier this month I had a crisis when my screen settings
in SuSE 9.3 went fooey, and I had to re-install my old Mandrake 9.1 to be
able to cry for help. I lost the last couple of emails we exchanged when I
ended up re-installing SuSE 9.3 all over again, and it reformatted my
Mandrake partition. For a few days I was busy re-setting all my desktop look
and feel, etc., and bringing back my backups.

Then things went south once more! My programs began to seize up and SusE
complained of not having enough "Room" - can you imagine?

I poked around a lot and just before I re-booted to install again, I got a
clue as to the problem. When I'd done the re-install the previous week I'd
seen my partitions looked just as set the first time in Sept. and just
clicked NEXT. I'd failed to set the mount points. So everything I'd been
installing and adding, was all dumping into the / root partition! No wonder
Yast complained of being 96, then 98 and 99% full!

It took a couple or three tries before I worked out the right time to insert
CD #2 (I kept having to start over at the reboot stage! <Blush>)  Anyway, I
did get the mount points set and have spent about a week now restoring
things, and getting back to work.

I feel like I gave up two weeks to a huge learning curve in Linux matters.
The dust was just beginning to settle this week, when I was frustrated at the
preview in Quantra+, as it wasn't showing my web pages the way they look
online in Firefox, so I decided to download the latest version.

Oh no! It called for ./configure and make and make install and make clean -
that kind of stuff. I had to spend most of the day yesterday at our mission
for a Christmas  lunch with our volunteers, but today I've given over to
learning to do this kind of install. Another whole saga!

It does seem to be installed now, but I got some message about changing the
$PATH which I haven't figured out, and I need to find a way to get it on my
KMenu, but it's time to take a break from all that and deal with emails. I'm
falling w-a-y behind. However, I decided that I must start with a thank you
to this group. You came through with some helpful tips, and just knowing you
are there when I'm overwhelmed is reassuring.

My personal friends don't seem to have time to hear out my sagas, but I've
read some of other's learning experiences in forums when hunting for answers,
and realize that I should start recording mine in places where they can help
others. (Seems with time I forget the details of my earlier trials!) But this
will mean changes in my schedule - it's so-o full!

Whenever I get caught up with my business and personal emails, I do go to my
CS-FSLug folder and read back mails on this list, so you are adding to my
education from time to time.

--
Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth