[CS-FSLUG] Apocrypha

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Thu Nov 10 16:33:30 CST 2005

> "Apocrypha"
>
> Can someone explain this to me, is this really biblical ?
> I have never heard of it before.

	I'd say the Apocrypha is interesting, but should be treated as no
more of an authority than many useful extra-Biblical sources, such as
Josephius. The interesting thing about the Apocrypha is that it
appears in the Septuagint (or LXX), the Greek translation of the
Hebrew Scriptures (the text that the Gospel writers likely used), but
not the Hebrew manuscripts of the OT.

	This presents some serious issues:

	1.) It could be that the texts simply weren't written in Hebrew but
are legit. At least part of the Apocrypha fills us in on what
happened in the centuries of silence between the return from the
Exile and the New Testament. With Greek culture spreading, I guess
one could argue that the writers -- some of which were defending
against Hellenism -- actually were still of the sort that liked to
write in Greek.

	2.) The Septuagint, as I understand it, actually is available in
older manuscripts than the Hebrew. Therefore, something could have
been lost between the time of our best Hebrew manuscripts and the
Greek translation.

	3.) Matthew quotes Isaiah 7:14 as "a virgin will conceive...," the
same language used in the Septuagint. Had he read the Hebrew, I am
told by Hebrew scholars, he may not have been so likely to see 7:14
as a reference to Jesus, since the word could also be translated
"young woman." IIRC, there are numerous other places where the NT
writers use uniquely LXX translations, so it would seem that God
inspired the Gospel writer to use the LXX for some reason; can the
case be made for the overall authority of the LXX? I'm not sure.

	On the other hand, as I see it, the Apocrypha does not add anything
terribly useful, so we should look at it like Mark 16:9-20, for
example. Interesting, but of questionable origin. In this respect, it
makes sense to be aware of it, but not base any doctrine of substance
on it.

	The Latin Vulgate, the major Latin translation of the Catholic
Church by Jerome, was not a translation from the Hebrew original, but
rather a re-translation of the Septuagint, which is how the Apocrypha
moved along into Catholicism when the language shifted.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Every ant  knows the  formula of its ant-hill,
Editor, OfB.biz   | every  bee knows  the formula  of its  beehive.
tbutler at ofb.biz   | They know it  in their own way, not in our way.
timothybutler.us  | Only humankind does not know its own formula."
                                               -- Fyodor Dostoyevsky