[CS-FSLUG] NI: High-tech "Nazareth Project" uniting Christians, Jews, and Muslims

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:44:08 CST 2005

On 11/10/05, dmc <edoc7 at verizon.net> wrote:

> It is an interesting non-Biblical project misusing the
> name of the church founded by Jesus.
>
> There is no uniting true Christians and Muslims, the
> authoritative texts of the two faiths strictly forbid
> such a relationship.

Dear dmc,

The project's originators do not aim at uniting Christians and Muslism (or
other non-Christians for that matter) in terms of religion itself. The
"uniting" being spoken of is referring to collaboration towards more
peaceful present-day co-existence and common efforts toward clearer
understanding of one another, rooted in the common veneration of the Virgin
Mary.

I assure you that no one has greater hopes for Muslims and other
non-Christians to convert to Christianity than those running the "Nazareth
Project."

You may not be aware of this fact, but quite a few Muslims have taken their
first steps toward conversion to Christ after engaging in discussions with
Catholic and Orthodox Christians about . . . Mary!

Try these links:

Mary and the Muslims
by the late Archbishop Fulton Sheen

http://www.catholicmil.org/html/sheen/maryandthemuslims.html

The Virgin Mary in the Koran

http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/MARYKRAN.HTM

I'm trying to dig up a good on-line conversion story that makes the point,
but for now please allow me two personal anecdotes:

(1) I once met an Italian priest, whose residence is in Rome, who claimed
that has helped lead a number of Muslims one-by-one to faith in Christ by
first talking to them about their shared devotion to the Blessed Virgin
Mary. He said that it was after their seeing the BVM through the "eyes" of
Christian faith, that they became open to looking at Jesus through those
same eyes.

(2) A number of the religious brothers I lived with in Jamaica grew up in
Uganda, and had quite a few Muslim neighbors -- many of them attended
Muslim-run schools and were there taught about Islam, though conversion was
not pushed on them. Two of those brothers told me about seperate instances
of individual Muslims converting to Christianity after some lenghty
discussions with Catholic neighbors. Those discussions originally centered
on, you guessed it, the Virgin Mary.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--