[CS-FSLUG] Membership database

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Mon May 30 13:22:24 CDT 2005

On 5/30/05, Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > > Barcodes?!?!? in church?!?!?

> >It wouldn't be me, but churches do it. :(   I worry that too much
> >technology is a bad thing.  I understand the need to ensure that John
> >& Jane Doe drop off and pick up Johnny Doe and Suzy Doe.  However, if
> >we need barcodes to accomplish that, then maybe we've lost the
> >personal connections that we, as Christians, should have.  Just my
> >$0.025 worth. ;)

> I happen to think it's a good thing.  Kids and younger adults these days
> grow up with technology.  They expect it.  If your church isn't using the
> latest technology, it is considered an alien/weird place to them and they
> might be uncomfortable because its missing.  But, of course, this depends a
> lot on your target demographic.

Perhaps it's my church background (a quite traditional environment -
overly so in my opinion), but I've never really viewed technology as
an essential, although I'm in favour of the adoption of some more
high-tech equipment.

Honestly as far as the "coolness" factor goes (which seems to be the
main basis of your argument as I understand it), I think that barcodes
are rather passe.  Well, that and It would make me feel like just
another number.

One thought that comes to mind - I've heard some opposition to the
idea of government tracking of people through a (inter)national ID
system - based on some text in Revelations.  How does the idea fit in
with a "church id" system (although this would presumably be limited
to local congregations - at least at the beginning?

David