[CS-FSLUG] Membership database

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Mon May 30 10:16:54 CDT 2005

At 09:58 PM 5/29/05, Don Parris wrote:

>On 5/27/05, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/27/05, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > You should check the Freely Project forums about ChurchInfo - I
> > > believe they allow using barcodes to track attendance.  I wrote a
> >
> > Barcodes?!?!? in church?!?!?
> >
> > David
> >

>It wouldn't be me, but churches do it. :(   I worry that too much
>technology is a bad thing.  I understand the need to ensure that John
>& Jane Doe drop off and pick up Johnny Doe and Suzy Doe.  However, if
>we need barcodes to accomplish that, then maybe we've lost the
>personal connections that we, as Christians, should have.  Just my
>$0.025 worth. ;)

I happen to think it's a good thing.  Kids and younger adults these days
grow up with technology.  They expect it.  If your church isn't using the
latest technology, it is considered an alien/weird place to them and they
might be uncomfortable because its missing.  But, of course, this depends a
lot on your target demographic.

I agree there should be personal connections, but I don't think technology
should be looked at as a barrier.