[CS-FSLUG] The new iMac G5. Now shipping with Tiger.

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue May 17 18:33:22 CDT 2005

> I most certainly hope otherwise, I can't stand what Gnome has done! I

	Well, I'm not trying to start a GNOME/KDE war. Both are inadequate. I
happen to think that GNOME is on a better course than KDE, but that is
up for debate. What I can say is that if all of the developers were
working in a unified manner, we'd get a lot more done.

> guess you haven't seen the configuration editor in Gnome styled after
> the Windows registry and regedit system, and what about that spacial

	Yeah... gconf_edit. No big deal. GNOME's configuration system is the
same as KDE's is basic style, all GNOME did was provide a familiar
interface to edit hidden stuff with. If you prefer, you can edit the
XML files, just like in KDE to get to such features.

> nautilus? Who wants hundreds of nautilus windows opened as they
> navigate through their file system, its a real pain to have to close
> the window from the previous folder every time you go into a sub
> folder. Some people claim that the spacial view in Nautilus can be
> disabled but I tried Gnome no more than two months ago and I couldn't
> find instructions on how to disable it fast enough. All my experiences

	You can disable it with just a few clicks in gedit_conf or you can get
a little "pro config" tool. I cannot remember the info off hand, but it
was really simple.

> with Gnome were so awful that I don't have the vocabulary to describe
> it; I don't want any unnecessary contamination from Gnome getting into
> my favourite desktop environment. I can handle having two desktop
> environment around, but if there is only one I want it to be
> exclusively KDE.

	Admit it, you just don't like GNOME. :-)

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
tbutler at ofb.biz   |  The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
timothybutler.us  |  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
uninet.info       |  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
                                                 -- W. B. Yeats