[CS-FSLUG] Blog: Forgot Linux?

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 02:41:57 CST 2005

Well said, my point exactly,

> I was going to make a comment something like Tim's,
> but when I tried to find supporting material on the
> Apple webiste, the DVD player was classified under
> Mac OS X, but it was noted that this was only  for
> Apple-supplied DVD players (does Apple even sell
> anything anymore not capable of reading DVDs
though?)

> My iBook came with the DVD player setup and ready
> for use.
>
> David

What that means is that someone with a machine without
 preinstalled DVD player (say an old G3 or G4 before
the superdrives were standard) does not get the
software for Mac if they purchase one independantly.
Indeed, the poor fellow has to get it seperately. So
they'll be glad to give you the software as long as
you buy a DVD drive from them. Are vendors who sell
DVD's for Windows machines really that different. On
the other hand, Linux can do all these things without
preinstalled anything. As a matter of fact, using
Linux From Scratch, you can start from the command
line and build a system that does all the cool DVD,
Audio, and Video things without having to pay or even
to search that hard. And that is my point.