[CS-FSLUG] business software etc.

R. Thompson ron.t at sasktel.net
Sat Mar 26 12:36:19 CST 2005

    I would like to know if Linux software has matured to the point
where a small business / shop could rely 100% on Linux software.  Needed
would be:
- Office suit - Word processing, spreadsheet, etc.
- Inventory management
- Customer lists and billing
- reliable CAD software
- able to work with wide format (ink jet is OK) printers

    Up to now I've found most Linux software wanting, unable to
import/export reliably MS software formats, falling short on the printer
drivers (unable to access all the printer features), spreadsheet
software that lacked many of the feature I knew in old versions of
Quatro Pro.  Is this because I've been trying to make free software
work, is there supported professional software that would work?

   Would it be a headache and drag a small business down trying to base
everything on Linux?

   I'm thinking of setting up shop on my own, but questionable software
could be the end of the project.

   Are there (in Canada) businesses that would help set up the office /
shop software and support it?

      Thanks,

             Ron T.
--
Ron G. Thompson, |^|
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada
www.petomai.org   ron at petomai.org
"Who are these that fly as a cloud, and as doves to their window?" Is
60:8