[CS-FSLUG] "Catching Fish, Cleaning Fish"

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Mar 18 20:57:01 CST 2005

A WORD WITH YOU
By Ron Hutchcraft
#4744 - "Catching Fish, Cleaning Fish"
Luke 19:5

Listen to the audio broadcast!
http://www.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/ramhurl?p=pnm&f=/rhm/sounds/awwy/awwy4744.rm

        My Dad worked to make the money for our family, so my Dad decided
where we went on vacation - fishing. Now some people would consider that a
dream vacation, but the high-energy, ten-year-old me didn't think so. After
just a little while, I was complaining that I was bored, but we kept fishing.
Did I mention that my Dad made the money? Actually, we did have a good catch
there and they were good eating. Catching them was fun. Eating them was fun.
In between, there was this one step that was less fun - cleaning them. But
for that fish to realize its culinary destiny, it had to be cleaned.

        I'm Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With You today about
"Catching Fish, Cleaning Fish."

        If you're a fisherman, you're apparently Jesus' kind of person. Four
of the twelve disciples He called were fishermen by trade. When He summoned
them to His service, He said: "Come, follow Me, and I will make you fishers
of men" (Mark 1:17). He told Simon Peter, "From now on you will catch
men" (Luke 5:10).

        So the business of bringing people into a relationship with Jesus
Christ apparently has some things in common with fishing. For example, you
don't try to attract the fish with what you're interested in, but what
they're interested in. I like pizza. I don't like worms. But if I put pizza
on my hook, I'm going home with an empty bucket. I've got to offer what will
be interesting to the fish I'm trying to attract. And so it is with reaching
people for Jesus Christ.

        If all we offer is religious bait, coming to a religious meeting to
hear a religious speaker talk on a religious subject in a religious place, we
probably won't attract many of the lost people who need Christ so
desperately. But if we're talking about needs they care about in a place
where they feel comfortable, in words they can understand, we have a far
better chance of getting them within hearing distance of the gospel.

        But there's another very important fishing principle we need to keep
in mind as we present Jesus to the people around us. It's a principle it
seems many believers have never thought about. You don't clean fish until you
catch them! Too many times, lost people feel judged by us rather than loved
by us - because we're attacking the things they do because they're lost
instead of leading them to the One who will take them from lost to found!

        You catch them - then you clean them! Actually, God catches them and
cleans them, through you. You can see Jesus working that way in Luke 19,
beginning with verse 5, our word for today from the Word of God. The whole
town is shocked when Jesus says to Zacchaeus, of all people - the town crook
- "I must stay at your house today." As stunned as anyone, the Bible says
Zacchaeus "welcomed him gladly. The people started muttering, 'He has gone to
be the guest of a 'sinner.'" But after meeting Jesus and experiencing His
unconditional love, Zacchaeus can't stand his sin anymore. He announces he's
going to make right the dishonest wrongs he has done, "If I have cheated
anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount." Jesus
announced, "Today salvation has come to this house."

        Zacchaeus got clean, but he got caught first! The problem with the
lost people you know is not their profanity or their dishonesty or their
immorality - they're lost and they're living like it. Their real problem is
that they need a Savior. Yes, they must repent, but that's part of being
rescued by Jesus from their sin! Don't make their lifestyle the issue. Make
Jesus the issue, and say with the great spiritual fisherman, Paul, "When I
came to you ... I resolved to know nothing ... except Jesus Christ and Him
crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:1-2). If you want to help people be in heaven
with you, stick to Jesus. Stick to His cross!

Discuss today's "A Word With You," post your comments, or encourage others in
our discussion forum!
http://forums.gospelcom.net/view/rhm/awwy

How can I help support the work of Ron Hutchcraft Ministries?
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/support/

To find out how you can begin a personal relationship with Jesus Christ,
please visit YOURS FOR LIFE: HOW TO HAVE LIFE'S MOST IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIP
at:
http://www.yoursforlife.net
Or, call 1-888-NEED HIM.

"A Word With You" by Ron Hutchcraft is a daily radio challenge, with
slice-of-life illustrations and insights - providing practical help on the
issues that matter most. If your local Christian radio station does not air
"A Word With You," please let them know how much you value this program. Over
six years of transcripts are available online, at
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/awwy/

Ron Hutchcraft Ministries is a member of the Gospel Communications Network -
http://www.gospelcom.net

"A Word With You" is a production of:

Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc.
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/
Email: RHM at hutchcraft.com
Phone: 1-877-741-1200

Copyright (c) 2005, Ron Hutchcraft. Permission to distribute this material via
email, or individual copies, is automatically granted on the condition it
will be used for non-commercial purposes, and will not be sold. To reproduce
"A Word With You" transcripts in any other format, including Internet
websites, written permission is needed from Ron Hutchcraft.

Copyright (c) 2005, Ron Hutchcraft. Reprinted with permission. "A Word With
You" is a radio outreach of Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc.

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."