[CS-FSLUG] Re: Firefox sound problem!?!

Phil Crissman phil.crissman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 16:19:12 CST 2005

I think your hunch is correct; the plugin does NOT care about
hardware. Even if they could, I'm sure the developers would not have
accessed hardware directly.

Just by chance, do you have any other programs running and using sound
while you're also trying to use the flashplayer? Eg, if XMMS is open,
it will hog the sound card. Just curious.

Also this thread is Gentoo-specific, but maybe it could help:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-284103-highlight-firefox+flash+sound.html

It sounds like in these cases the no-sound-with-firefox was also only
in KDE, which may be why I've never seen this problem; I've really
never used KDE for more than a few minutes.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:02:39 GMT, timbrown at ichristian.com
<timbrown at ichristian.com> wrote:
> Three things:
>
> 1. the video is playing, so I assume the plug-in must be present...even if I
> don't see it there. Just no sound.
>
> 2. Mozilla also does the same. At first Opera did neither.
>
> 3. I ran Firefox and used the menuing in firefox to download the plugin. But
> during installation, the flashplayer-installer only gave me mozilla and
> opera direcories as options...?!?   The installer didn't offer Firefox as an
> option.
>
> 4. I installed for both Mozilla and Opera. Both play the video, but don't
> give the sound.
>
> 5. Konqueror alone plays flash with video AND sound.
>
> Very strange.
>
> This worked fine on the other box, with  no need to load plugins, etc. It
> just worked. The only difference between the two machines is that this one
> has an integrated sound card (boo hiss!) and the other one has an SB4 Live
> value card in it. I know, it's a REAL stretch...but I wonder if that might
> be what is causing the problem? Yet, you'd expect the plugin to not care
> about your hardware...the O.S. is taking care of sound.
>
> Tim
>
> Fred A. Miller writes:
>
> > On Sun March 6 2005 10:21 pm, timbrown at ichristian.com wrote:
> >> Anyone else use Firefox?
> >>
> >> What's happened is I've set a new box up. I've noticed that with flash
> >> presentations I get no sound with a flash presentation. Example of one is
> >> at http://www.wayofthemaster.com.
> >>
> >> Mozilla is the same way. Video is fine, but   no sound.
> >>
> >> HOWEVER, Konq plays both video and sound fine. Very strange.
> >>
> >> By the way, thanks for the hints on networking linux. I'm working on it.
> >> I've been using the YAST  partitioner also to mount my old drive to get the
> >> data from it. Learning curves.
> >
> > Tim, 'might be the obvious, but did you check to make sure the plugins are in
> > the */firefox/plugins dir?
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > --
> > The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
> > in their warehouse..."
> >

> 10 out of 10 people die.
> http://www.needgod.com

Phil