[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Romans 1

Timothy Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Sun Mar 6 23:44:15 CST 2005

Since our last Bible Study fizzled out, I thought it might be good to
try again with something different. Scholars like to talk about
people's canon within the canon, that is the book or books of the Bible
which they tend to turn to first and foremost. We all probably have
favorite books, and for me, my canon within the canon has always been
the Pauline Episitles, especially Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians,
Galatians and Ephesians.

This week's study is on Romans 1.

Here we have not Paul's first epistle, but his longest. Oddly or not,
it is written to people he has never met. After a brief introduction,
he talks about wanting to do things for the Roman Church and then dives
right into a talk on the Wrath of God. That's a bit different way of
starting out than I might think of if I was going to introduce *myself*
to a new group, even if it was a group of fellow believers.

Starter Questions
=================
 > please feel free to take say, question or otherwise comment on
whatever interests you about Romans 1 or just general introductory
points about Romans. These questions are just meant for kindling.

1.) Why do you suppose Paul was so anxious to go see a church that was
already established by someone else?

2.) How do you suppose the Romans received his bold beginning to the
letter?

3.) There is some language in verses 18-32 that appears to deal with
the issue of homosexuality. In fact, this is one of the proof texts
used to point out the sinfulness of homosexuality. But ignoring that
for a moment, and looking at the bigger picture, what do you suppose
was the reason for Paul to start with a virtual catalog of sins?

	Dive in with your comments -- as I said, don't stick to this
questions, come up with your own too, comment whatever you see fit,
etc.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |