[CS-FSLUG] Ext2 recovery: a study in desperation

keltik at nycap.rr.com keltik at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jun 29 06:45:33 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of or has experience with any simple-to-use ext2 recovery tools.  I don't
know what happened, but a couple of days ago my server's hard drive decided not to boot (Grub error 17).
Apparently the partition table is now unreadable, and I'm not sure what shape my data is in.  It was a Fedora
Core 3 system, FWIW.

I have the sickly drive now hooked up to a machine that has both Windows 98 and SUSE 9.2, so I could use a
recovery program that works on either OS.  On Linux, I tried e2salvage, but that didn't compile; I also tried
e2retrieve, but I guess I don't understand how it works.

Thanks for any help,

Kathy "I backed up everything EXCEPT..." Montgomery