[CS-FSLUG] NI: Feature heap won't undo LAMP's toll on Microsoft

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Jun 22 11:51:24 CDT 2005

"Another big attraction to the LAMP stack, in addition to the aforementioned
modularity, is the option of simplicity.  Linux, by virtue of its open source
nature, doesn't have nearly the layers of stuff hardwired into it that
Windows Server 2003 does.   Not that all that stuff — systems management
features, security features, etc. — aren't great to have.  Under the right
circumstances in specific scenarios, it's wouldn't be unusual to take
advantage of all of them.  But what if you don't want to?  Depending on where
you start your Linux build from (either what a distributor like Red Hat or
SuSE gives you, or starting from scratch), you're not stuck with a heap of
features just because your vendor says they need to be in every build of your
OS.  The degree of bloat is up to you.   And so, there are thousands of very
efficiently configured LAMP and LAMJ deployments out there that contain only
the componentry needed to fuel the applications they support."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1505&tag=nl.e539

to you, at this time.