[CS-FSLUG] NI: Microsoft asks for help from hackers

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Jun 16 22:47:50 CDT 2005

"REDMOND, Wash.--The random chatter of several hundred Microsoft engineers
filled the cavernous executive briefing center recently at the company's
sprawling campus outside Seattle.

Within minutes after their meeting was convened, however, the hall became
hushed. Hackers had successfully lured a Windows laptop onto a malicious
wireless network.

"It was just silent," said Stephen Toulouse, a program manager in Microsoft's
security unit. "You couldn't hear anybody breathe."

The demo was part of an extraordinary two days in which outsiders were invited
into the heart of the Windows empire for the express purpose of exploiting
flaws in Microsoft computing systems. The event, which Microsoft has not
publicized, was dubbed "Blue Hat"--a reference to the widely known "Black
Hat" security conference, tweaked to reflect Microsoft's corporate color."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5749234.html?tag=nl.e589

to you, at this time.