[CS-FSLUG] NI: Will Mac kill the Linux business desktop?

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Jun 20 15:24:45 CDT 2005

While Apple is going to use an Intel chip, the computers still will not be "IBM
compatibles" to use the old phrase.  They have not settled on which of the two
will happen, but either they will have a modification to the chip, or the
motherboards will be somehow different.  So Apple will still have a computer
that normal things will not run on.  So OSX will not suddenly take the place of
the regular PC operating system.  In short, Apple has changed the company who
builds their CPU, but the rest of the way things work will continue as normal.
They will still have proprietary hardware, and their software will run in it.
And, of course, Linux will still run in a MAC, even with the new hardware.

    - Tim Young

"Fred A. Miller" wrote:

> FROM THE EDITOR
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> Will Mac kill the Linux business desktop?
> [by Jan Stafford]
> (snip)
> Mac and Linux users are equally devoted to their desktops of choice
> and, from my experience, equally disdainful of Microsoft Windows.
> Being a member of both the Mac and Linux camps, I have mixed feelings
> about Apple's decision to move Mac OS to the Intel platform.
>
> Apple has a leg up on Linux in the business desktop market, so this
> could put a stop to Linux's growth there. Yet, Macs are so identified
> with niches, particularly graphics, that most businesses won't
> consider using them. I can?t imagine Mac OS selling for less than
> Linux, either.

(snip)