[CS-FSLUG] OT: Any Dutch Translators?

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 17:26:26 CDT 2005

On 6/16/05, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:
> I am somewhat less than fluent in Dutch. Most translations favor
> British English. The word "bank" is more like our "bench" or "pew". The
> term "dominee" should be taken simply as "clergyman." Keep in mind
> their vocabulary is much smaller. Where they use the word "zee", we
> might mean ocean, sea, lake, pond, puddle, bath, etc. Most of it should
> be obvious, and I won't attempt a full translation unless you really
> need it.

I picked up on some of that.  I got bank, for sure.  There were quite
a few other words that I'm sure I got right.  "Dominee", on the other
hand, threw me for a bit of a loop, but I kind of figured it was some
sort of reference to me.  I am generally pretty good with grasping the
gist of the Western European languages.  As you move further East, and
they start using those funny shaped characters, I start getting a
little lost. ;)  I studied Thai for a year, way back when, and that
was a real challenge.  Lot's of fun, though. :)

In this case, it's interesting to see what folks around the world are
saying about LOSS.  If I can glean any comments on PitP, itself, that
helps me to improve myself in several areas.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/