[CS-FSLUG] OT: Techworld.com - Windows wipes floor with Linux

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Wed Jun 1 11:30:03 CDT 2005

Don Parris wrote:

>>http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=3760
>
> The last time I checked, when one number is more than double another number,
> that means the lower number is, well, lower.  If GNU/Linux continues its
> current growth rate, then it would seem to follow naturally that it could
> easily catch up to UNIX/Windows.  How can it be said that Windows wipes the
> floor with GNU/Linux, when the latter outperformed the former?

Well, it all depends on the numbers and the starting point.  In the
article they don't give solid numbers so it's hard to tell.  The key is
in what she said: "Bozman also said that she could not see Linux
overtaking either Windows or Unix in the foreseeable future, mainly
because Linux is starting from such a small base."

Extreme example:

Linux starts with 10 servers.  In a year Linux adds 3 more servers for
30% growth.  This totals 13 servers.  Let's assume a stable growth rate
of 30%.

Meanwhile Microsoft starts with 1,000,000 servers.  In a year adds only
10% more servers which equals 100,000 more servers.  This totals
1,100,000 servers. Let's assume a stable growth rate of 10%.

I don't remember my math well enough to solve the equations:

Linux f(1)=10, f(2)=13, f(3)=16.9, ....
MS f(1)=1000000, f(2)=1100000, f(3)=1210000, ....

For what "x" (how many years out) does Linux equal/surpass MS?  (Hint:
it's probably not "in the foreseeable future".)

sjm