[CS-FSLUG] Re: Laptops and iBooks

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 17:16:42 CDT 2005

I got a Toshiba Satellite M40X-RH4 yesterday with the help of my
parents, it runs Windows and with some tweaking I have the fonts
looking very nice and smooth on the screen, the monitor is no longer
set too bright, and I have some good software including
OpenOffice.org, Dev-C++, JCreator, FireFox and Thunderbird. I have
considered putting Linux on this thing, especially since starting up
and shutting down takes a while, but over all Windows runs nicely
enough and I don't want to loose features I knew Linux wouldn't have
as you've mentioned.

I think I'll keep Windows on this thing, it does run quite nicely and
that will free up my desktop for Linux without stranding me without
the software I would need for school. Running Linux on a laptop would
be cool too, but I knew Windows would support the hardware better and
as you've mentioned Windows handles the screen brightness and battery
saving with the lest work.

Maybe when Windows XP becomes too obsolete to run the software I want
I'll install Linux on this thing, until then I'll keep Linux confined
to my desktop :-) .

Thanks for the help and advice everyone, I'm not the slightest bit
disappointed in what I got for my money and I am also quite pleased
that upgrading the ram in this thing is very simple.

Btw. The battery life in this thing with very comfortable brightness
settings seems to be over 3 hours with the wireless off. I've been
running the laptop almost non stop all afternoon and it's past 4:00 PM
already so it's safe to estimate that the battery life without
wireless is ~3 hours more or less. 802.11b/g is also build in, and
there is a switch on the side of the laptop to turn it on and off. I'm
quite happy with this thing :-) .