[CS-FSLUG] NI: Novell Files Answer and Counterclaims, and Tells Us the Rest of the SCO Story

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Jul 30 16:23:50 CDT 2005

On Saturday 30 July 2005 5:02 pm, Don Parris wrote:
> On 7/30/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> > SCO vs. Linux has been going on for a very long time and I stopped
> > following it maybe a year ago or so. I'm not sure about the rest of
> > you, but the only follow ups I'm looking forward to is when SCO
> > looses. I remember hearing about MS putting some funds behind SCO,
> > that might explain why they have held up so long against Red Hat,
> > Novell, IBM, and all the other smaller groups they were going to sue.

> A complaint was filed with the SEC, with respect to the funds
> channelled to SCO from Msft through it's connections.  It is true that
> Msft claims that Baystar makes its own investment decisions.  However,
> the complaint filed points to illegal/improper insider trading and
> other scandalous actions by both SCO Group and Microsoft executives
> and insiders, including former Msft, officer, Paul Allen.  I am
> waiting to see if that complaint ever gets anywhere.

You and me both! I filed an inquirey sometime ago about this, and was simply
told that it was under investigation. I've heard nor read anything since.
But, the SEC is very much like the FDA. That is, money and power controls
what happens to whom. In the case of the FDA, it's the drug companies who get
what they want, no matter what is moral and proper.

> This Novell document, however, is of great interest.  It's a shame it
> has taken this long for this stuff to come out.  I guess all things
> come out in their proper time.  If it holds water, and I believe it
> does, it's a good thing in my view.

Agreed! An old saying is something like, "Timing is everything." Maybe that is
why Novell has done what is has now.

Fred

to you, at this time.