[CS-FSLUG] As if that many really care, but here it is anyway.

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Jul 25 09:28:52 CDT 2005

On Monday 25 July 2005 8:41 am, Brian Derr wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 22:42 -0400, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> [...]
>
> > 'Same here. Except, I'm going nuts trying to find out how to start
> > gnome.....just to see what the latest looks like. SUSE doesn't help one
> > bit in with this! Wanna tell me how to start it up from command line?
>
> To start Gnome from the command line edit ~/.xinitrc and put 'exec

There isn't any ".xinitrc"...........only .xinitrc.template, and I'd already
tried modifying that file.

> gnome-session' in there (probably want to comment out anything else you
> may have in there.)  Then type `startx` and voilá, you have lift-off.

I wish.

> If you prefer a graphical login do-dad you can run gdm (Gnome Display
> Manager).  You have to run it is root I believe: `sudo gdm`.

'Use ONLY commandline login.

> Let me know if this helped.

It didn't, but thanks for the effort. I'll find out what needs to be
done.....SUSE just doesn't make it obvious nor helpfull to do it.

Thanks,

Fred

to you, at this time.