[CS-FSLUG] As if that many really care, but here it is anyway.

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 21:49:44 CDT 2005

Ok, I'm frustrated today, I just went way out of my way to get support
for DVD playback in SUSE Linux and the outcome was a filthy hack which
broke some stuff in order to get other stuff to work.

(Trying my best to be patient with this) I love KDE, and some of the
other applications in Linux, but I think it's a complete and total
waste of my time to use an OS that only gets worse no matter how much
time and effort I put into trying to fix it. Everything I try to get
something working breaks something else, and every time I need the
simplest application to work properly in Linux I have to spend hours
doing that just to end up with an ugly, filthy hack.

Linux has some brilliant programs, but some awful, lazy, messed up
distributors who have torn it every which way and made everything
inconsistent and half broken in order to rake in undeserved cash for
something that's busted and needs those lucracive support contracts to
keep running. Tell me how that's any better than the mess Windows is
in, when you look at the big picture neither is better than the other,
and they're both sub-par.

One of the things that drove me nuts when I was building packages for
Ark Linux was the fact that because of all the "standards" out there
from different companies like SUSE, Red Hat and Mandrake, it took
hours to get a packages adapted to any distribution it wasn't made for
and eventually that got to be too much. Now I really need a few
minutes to cool off before I just boot Windows and remove Linux
altogether.