[CS-FSLUG] Wind tunnel

Dommy E. Hamid d-e-x at spitfire.net
Thu Jul 14 03:14:11 CDT 2005

Nathan,

As an amateur overclocker (hehehe), I think it's safe to say that it's
not the number of fan that matters, but what kind are they and how are
they directed.

Usually, there are a couple of rules of thumb

1. The bigger the fan, the more air it moves at the same rpm. 120 mm fan
moves more air at the same speed than 80 mm fans. Thus, most 120 mm fan
usually have lower speed than regular fans, and that makes the noise
lower (both in frequency (hertz rating) and in decibel).

2. Fan positioning matters. At least have one intake and one outtake
fans for case. A side fan can be added to cool the expansion slot areas,
particularly Video cards (High end video cards creates as much heat as
high end cpus nowadays).

3. Reduce the number of clutter inside your case. Buy round cables for
your IDE cables. If not, slice them up vertically and then bundle and
tie them.

4. If you are talking about CPU Heatsink/Fan, consider buying
aftermarket Heatsink from Zalman. In terms of size, they are huge (I
mean.. size of an ashtray huge), but since they use bigger fan, they
don't create as much noise (see rule #1). I heard good things regarding
Zalman CNPS7000 AlCu heatsink.
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=142&code=005
If you want, you can go for the "big brother" Zalman CNPS7700 AlCu
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=146&code=005

If Zalman is too pricy, you can get another aftermarket Heatsink that is
known to be good and quiet. Look at Anandtech's Case and Cooling forum
at http://forums.anandtech.com for suggestions. Heatsinks need not be
pricy to be good and silent. My $10 Speeze Falcon Rock beats Thermaltake
Volcano series in terms of cooling power, silence, and cost in cooling
my old overclocked AXP 1700+

5. Buy a fan controller system to control the speed of your fans. It may
be a bit expensive but it looks cool and it's useful.

6. If all else fails, consider water cooling :)

Hope these suggestions helps.

Dommy