[CS-FSLUG] Re: Linux On Laptop

Wade A Smith warm38 at juno.com
Mon Feb 28 21:31:25 CST 2005

> Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:14:01 -0500
> From: "Bradly J. McConnell" <bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com>

> >The screen is 9" vert and 14" horiz.  SuSE 9.2 couldnt
> >handle the screen too well (the right most 2 inches was
> >slightly distorted) and since the computer was a
> >"floor model" it came with no technical documentation
> >telling me the Horz/Vert Hz.
>
> You should be able to pull any documentation you need from the HP
> site.  If
> it's the same XGA screen this laptop has (Compaq R3320US) you can
> add the
> 1280 x 800 resolution line into your X server config (XF86 or Xorg).

The HP folks say "buy the doc package by calling this 877 number..."
The screen is the WideXGA and that is the kicker.  It wanted info to
recognize the "different" screen that I didnt have. Oh, and all the stuff
that was supposed to look round started looking oval.

> >It also has some whiz-bang features which dont have any
> >connection with the rest of the world, so the drivers are
> >just not there for anything I want to do -- like connect
> >to the internet via doze-off (dial-up) modem when I'm on
> >the road.
>
> With all the wireless access around, how often do you really need
> it?  If
> you are on the road due to work, then it might be worth while to
> pick up a
> small external, and use a serial port (if it has one) or a
> usb-to-serial
> adapter.
>
> >Bottom line: Looks like I'm STUCK (literally and figureatively)
> >with XP.   <p'tooey!>
>
> NEVER!!!!

While I agree with the sediments, I'm kinda stuck with windoze because my
primary email is juno, which runs ONLY on windoze; I have several
development
packages that I use for working away from home and they all run in
windoze; and
the HP drivers are "optimized for XP."

So when the <cuss><cuss><blankety-blank> folks at microsoft attempt to
"stick it to me" because I have the OEM install, I'll have to [probably]
pay
for their extortion and buy a "legal copy" of XP.