[CS-FSLUG] Linux on Laptops was re: Christiansource Digest, Vol 12, Issue 45

Bradly J. McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 21:29:07 CST 2005

>  What I'm getting at I guess is, I don't see the purpose of
>hassling with Linux for a laptop.

In my case, a laptop is my primary computer.  I got to the point where I
just had too much computer equipment around (according to the other half).
So I made a deal - I'll get rid, or hide all the equipment if I can have a
laptop.  She agreed, and now I have my old desktop running headless in a
closet, acting as a file and print server - with the printer in the closet
too - it's amazing how little you print and how much ink and paper you save
if you create a minor inconvenience to your self.

To further Linux as something other than a server OS, we need people to run
it on laptops, desktops, etc.  It just proves how versatile it really is.
I'm thinking of getting a Gumstix (www.gumstix.com) to run as a print
server, since the whole "computer" would be smaller than the AC/DC converter
brick of the power cord.  It's kind of nice walking in the room, and not
seeing technology everywhere - it is a home, and not a server farm :)  The
laptop gets put away in a secretary, along with the cables.  I have a WLAN
setup, so you really don't need any cables, or just the power cable if you
don't want to use the battery.

Linux support for laptops is getting better.  The only things that don't
work from a standard install of FC3 on this laptop is wireless (broadcom
chipset - easily fixed with ndiswrapper), 3D video support (ATI 9100 IGP)
and the modem (haven't bothered researching).  The only way it will get
better is guinea pigs like the original poster and myself.

Brad