[CS-FSLUG] Do you still trust Bill Gates?

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 20:42:10 CST 2005

This sounds like fun,

> The plan, known as the Windows Genuine Advantage
> initiative, was introduced in January.
> Starting Feb. 28, Microsoft's product security will
> require that customers who need to reinstall their
> operating system call a customer service
> representative to get a code that will reactivate
> their Windows XP system. New systems shipped from
> the top 20 PC makers, also known as original
> equipment manufacturers (OEMs), will be
> preactivated, stated a memo posted to the blog
> Aviran's Place. The Microsoft representative  said
> the memo was authentic.

So, we know that M$ is going to add people to their
phone banks in india. That's good news for them. Plus,
now there's a whole new market for dirty indian reps
who will sell cheap numbers online. Wow! what a good
idea for extra income (since they get paid so well
now, as we all know).

> "To reduce the illegal trafficking of these OEM
> product keys, Microsoft will 'disable' the ability
> to activate these direct OEM Product Keys  over
> the Internet," the memo stated. "When a customer or
> reseller tries to activate using a Product Key found

> on the list of 'disabled' keys, the online product
> activation wizard will instruct them to call
> Microsoft, where a customer service representative
> can assist them further."

So internet activation isn't working anymore (probably
due to available serial number generators). I wonder
if this is aimed at resellers buying a single copy and
using it numerous times (must think they are using
linux). So, when (not if) Windows dies on you
preinstalled PC, you have to call M$ and ask
permission to use the software you are leasing from
them. Isn't that nice of them. You don't think they'll
use caller ID information from the phone call to do
information gathering.

> The customer representative will ask several
> questions, such as where the person bought the
> Windows XP system, to find out whether the
> certificate is authentic, the representative said.

Then the representative will verify the information
they got from the caller ID (I mean, you know how much
M$ could make selling your demographic information?).
Then M$ will ask you about your personal habits, the
color, size and frequency of your bowel movements,
your mother's maiden name and your credit card numbers
(so they can charge you in case they think that there
might be an infraction. Otherwise they have to send
the M$ police.) I mean, M$ is innocent until proven
guilty, and you could always sue them if you feel
they've wronged you. Man, I feel better already.

Heh, heh, heh!