[CS-FSLUG] Fired...

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Thu Feb 24 21:04:39 CST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Timothy R.Butler wrote:

> Ed, do you ever forget which OS you're using at a given time? You're
> making me dizzy. ;-)
>
> 	-Tim

Let's just say I have no hesitation to dump something that isn't
working for me, and may often consider something that promises to work
better. It just so happens my main complaints with FOSS -- GUI fonts
and printer drivers for dot-matrix -- were nicely addressed in FreeBSD
5.3, and I didn't know it until I tried.

I try lots of things, hoping to find whatever is reasonably close to
what I want. On my laptop, FOSS was hopeless and useless. Win98 works
passably well and so it will stay.

OTOH, I am gaining experience in migration. I went from Win98 to
FreeBSD 5.3 in two hours, including migrating all my personal settings
for things like Mozilla, moving my massive library of collected
articles, etc. I had not tried 5.3 on this particular combination of
hardware, and it's seems a perfect match. The new AGP drivers make the
display much clearer, the new mobo chipset drivers allow clear
communication with the LPT port and the GS drivers for my Epson LQ-570
actually work as intended.

To answer you literal question, I had to remeber the middle-click
pastes and is actually programmable for the browser, and that my icons
are by default single-click. Minor stuff. So let your head spin :-)

Ed Hurst