[CS-FSLUG] The Advantages of Dependency Hell

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 19:33:25 CST 2005

O.k. This is a question about dependencies, mainly to clarify my
understanding of them.  Assume I'm an expert C++ developer.  I write a
program for Windows.  When I write my program, I include an installer
that does everything for the Windows user - no dependency issues to
worry about.

So when I port the program over to GNU/Linux (or write a new one), I
assume I am making my program dependent on (linking to) various
libraries that *should* be available in the system already, thus
reducing duplicitious coding and duplicate copies of libraries (which
might take up unecessary space).

I really want to be sure my understanding (at least at a basic level)
is accurate.  Are the reasons for linking programs the same reasons I
mention?  I mean, for someone new to all of this, it could be a bit
daunting.  I never really paid it much attention, to be honest.  Why
is there no dependency hell in Windows?  Is it because the devs
include all the necessary libraries in their program?  Should I assume
this is an inefficient coding practice?

Regards,
Don
--