e: [CS-FSLUG] dhtml frustrations -- IE

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 15:33:29 CST 2005

Microsoft has real issues with CSS compliance,

>> WHAT GIVES?
>
> I dunno. Usually it seems like on DHTML I have the
> most problems with the Mozilla variants. You might
> be better off ditching the CSS layout.  If you
> simplify things a bit, IE seems to usually be
> happier.

CSS is much, much happier in Opera, Konq ... heck,
anything but IE5 to IE6. I tried to code around it and
found that you had to be precise with your
measurements to keep IE happy. IE does not live one
DIV crossing the borders of another. As for the
mouseovers, IE6 just chokes, sputters and dies. It's
like it can't read compliant code (wouldn't that be a
surprise, M$ doesn't like the standard so it makes
itself non-compliant to force a standards change). I
use Java and CSS, and all is well in non-IE browsers.

Headaches are part of working with M$.