[CS-FSLUG] Penguin in the Pew - Reviewers Needed

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Feb 16 20:27:13 CST 2005

Don Parris wrote:
> I also have a question - How much should I say about BSD?  I have
> already said a lot more about it in this edition than I said
> previously.  Even so, the book is really about GNU/Linux, and I would
> like to keep it in focus.  Still, it seems only right to add a few
> nice words about our UNIX cousins. :)

Don't worry too much about that. It's really not newby territory. I'm
finding it's a very much server OS which might get by as a desktop
system, but requires lots of work. The only real advantage is running
the latest desktop stuff with lesser hardware, because the resource
usage is much lighter. That's gotta be a high priority before someone
will do that much work. Oh, and it's marginally more secure, which means
far less convenient.

--
Ed Hurst