[CS-FSLUG] Penguin in the Pew - Reviewers Needed

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:41:19 CST 2005

This is the call for reviewers of the revised and updated edition of
"Penguin in the Pew".  I have not yet completed the final chapter, nor
the Resources section.  I am also working on the index.  However, I
think most of the book is now close enough to ready that I can say I
have a rough draft.  It would be good at any rate to get started on
any revisions, so I can tidy up ASAP and get it out there.  The
current draft is about 124 pages.

This edition offers more up-to-date screen shots, a photo or two, and
a hopefully much improved layout.  It covers more turf and plunges
deeper than the first edition.  It offers a whole chapter just for
non-techies.  It includes a brief guide to GNU/Linux distributions
(only covering the more important ones.  Perhaps I need to include
info about TurboLinux and Connectiva Linux?  I have also provided an
overview of the Christian FOSS community, though I need to get some
more historical information.  There's a little bit of Who's Who in the
mix.

Comments are needed for:
<> Grammatical structure & Layout
<> Technical Accuracy
<> Spotting pertinent info that should be included

Reviewers will preferably use OpenOffice.org, as that is the format
you will receive my manuscript in.  I need at least one non-techie to
read it and tell me what you don't grasp.

I also have a question - How much should I say about BSD?  I have
already said a lot more about it in this edition than I said
previously.  Even so, the book is really about GNU/Linux, and I would
like to keep it in focus.  Still, it seems only right to add a few
nice words about our UNIX cousins. :)

Blessings,
Don
--