[CS-FSLUG] Gentoo Linux

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Mon Feb 14 09:30:19 CST 2005

David M. wrote:
> I want to try Gentoo linux, can anyone tell me what I need to download?
>
> Do I download the packagecd iso's or the livecd iso's? What's the difference?

I don't want to sound authoritative by any means, but I have taken a stab
at running Gentoo a few times.  You want the Live CD and the packages but
to be honest with you... I have never made it as far as installing packages
as I could never get a working kernel easy or hard.  My lame Dell seems to
be a bit tricky to satisfy.

But anyway... you will need to decide what level of "flexibility" you want
for the future by choosing a stage.  I have tried both stage one and three
with no better outcome.  I would suggest stage three first then after you
have installed about three times, try stage one.  You will find in much
more satisfying and not all that more difficult at all.  Plan lots of time
to do your installs!  I managed to maintain a dual boot over several days
of my install and return to where I left off from my previous install.
Pretty cool I would say.  Don't know of other distros that would allow you
to continue at a later date.

--
Warren Sanders
Family Photo Galleries