[CS-FSLUG] Comments on Sam Palmisano of IBM

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:41:53 CST 2005

Hmm, how'd I guess you'd be the first to reply :)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:35:13 -0500, Fred A. Miller
<fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:

> I not only wouldn't attend a school like that, I'd do EVERYTHING could legally
> do, to warn EVERY student who'd even consider entering that ignorant an
> atmosphere.

I've been working on a letter to write to the Dean about it.  I think
the issue needs to be addressed within the campus before I go out and
slam them openly.  Mainly my dealings have been with the M$ support
paid monkeys.  The MCSE paper holders that seem to get employed by
such institutions.

One major issue I faced using Firefox was some of the Net Library type
sources they use.  One of them requires a client side download that
somehow ties into Adobe Acrobat reader, and disables the save
function.  I sent a complaint to their service link about supporting
other browsers and being W3C compliant on their site.  They actually
sent an email back stating that they were working on a client for
Mozilla, but it would still only be Win32.  They said that there was
just too much diversity within the Linux community to write a client
app for each major distro.  Mainly just an excuse, since all they
would need is a basic source package, but I guess then they wouldn't
be able to protect their material.  Oh well, nothing that a simple
Google search won't fix.  Most of the Net Library was either scanned
books, or journal articles.

> IBM is $$ driven.......it's all about money.

Isn't that true for 99% of the companies out there?  Granted, I'm not
sticking up for some of their methods, but there is nothing wrong with
a company trying to earn a profit - as long as it is legal and doesn't
involve shady practices.

Brad