[CS-FSLUG] Prepare the rotten eggs

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Feb 5 22:00:30 CST 2005

Christopher Rose wrote:
> Ed,
>
> I love it. Do I have your permission to print it?

Of course you can print it, copy it, mirror it, give it away to others,
whatever. The only "copyright" condition is proper credit for the
craftsmanship of words, not the content.

>  Also, in regards to a console Linux, please understand that I am
> trying to help you (it was you that was interested a console/cli
> linux distro?). Unfortunately, if you are using a a 486 or earlier
> machine, the odds of a cd drive existing are low and as such, it
> creates a difficult situation. I have actually found computers that
> either will not boot from CD or some CD's just won't boot (I have had
> that problem with a Sony Vaio machine). Unfortunately this really
> limits your options, hence my suggesting a floppy distro (many of
> which are console only anyway). Some of these can even be installed
> onto the hard drive, which is what I do believe is what you are
> asking for. I do hope you will be forgiving and please know that I am
> only trying to help.

Well, the laptop in question is a P2/266Mhz with 96MB RAM. It has a
working floppy, and a USB port. A friend has offered to let me use his
USB CD-ROM for the installation. The only question was what. I could
indeed purchase a replacement, but the price is outside my budget.
Furthermore, the machine does not warrant that much expense.

I'll say again: I was not offended and you need not tread lightly. There
was no offense to forgive, so let's move on.

As it is, I am planning to donate the thing to fellow in need who has a
strong interest in learning C/C++ and took all the books I had laying
around on the subject. I'm thinking anything with an early 2.2 kernel is
too immature, perhaps something with a late 2.2. I believe 2.4 and up is
too heavy for the box.

--
Ed Hurst