[CS-FSLUG] Real Player Linux (Formerly: no subject)

Don Parris evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org
Tue Feb 1 10:27:54 CST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:31:17 -0800 (PST)
Chris Brault <groundhog3000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Indeed,
>
> > Oh, on a
> > linux note, realplayer 10 is now available for
> > download as an RPM file.
> > I just installed it today and it works nicely.
> > Better than 8 did (I didn't bother with 9).
>
> I've been tracking this for a while.  Real player 10
> came out a few months ago, and I've been writing web
> sites that usually only stream M$ media player and
> urging them to add Realplayer streaming.  One of the
> site, namely www.hallindseyoracle.com, gave me this
> kind of answer:
>
> "I haven't been to the Real Player site in a really
> long time. Man, it's changed! I've downloaded the Real
> Streamer and the Real Producer. Would you be
> interested in testing the stream?"
>
> The webmaster for Hal Lindsey uses Fedora Linux, but
> has to cater to the Windows crowd as part of his job.
> I would be willing to bet that there are alot of web
> masters in the same boat, and if given the chance,
> would like to change things up a bit.
>
> My arguement has been that Windoze no longer supports
> it's media player for Mac and that us Linux people
> have to get ... um ... semi-legal codecs to watch
> Windoze media player streams. It seems that these
> Christian webmasters, of all people, seem to know
> which way the wind is blowing. I have been amazed how
> much more understanding Christian webmasters have been
> (as opposed to most secular ones I've dealt with).
>
> Anyway, I use RealPlayer 10 to stream music and video
> from  www.christiantuner.com. That's all I can say.
>
> Gabe
>

> P.S.: I love the independant Christian music scene.

I am not sure if you're aware, but OS Ministry's webmaster is a member of
a Christian webmasters site - Christian Webmasters.com/org/net -
something like that.  It might be a good thing to post a request like this
over there.

Don

--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist