[CS-FSLUG] Real Player Linux (Formerly: no subject)

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 00:31:17 CST 2005

Indeed,

> Oh, on a
> linux note, realplayer 10 is now available for
> download as an RPM file.
> I just installed it today and it works nicely.
> Better than 8 did (I didn't bother with 9).

I've been tracking this for a while.  Real player 10
came out a few months ago, and I've been writing web
sites that usually only stream M$ media player and
urging them to add Realplayer streaming.  One of the
site, namely www.hallindseyoracle.com, gave me this
kind of answer:

"I haven't been to the Real Player site in a really
long time. Man, it's changed! I've downloaded the Real
Streamer and the Real Producer. Would you be
interested in testing the stream?"

The webmaster for Hal Lindsey uses Fedora Linux, but
has to cater to the Windows crowd as part of his job.
I would be willing to bet that there are alot of web
masters in the same boat, and if given the chance,
would like to change things up a bit.

My arguement has been that Windoze no longer supports
it's media player for Mac and that us Linux people
have to get ... um ... semi-legal codecs to watch
Windoze media player streams. It seems that these
Christian webmasters, of all people, seem to know
which way the wind is blowing. I have been amazed how
much more understanding Christian webmasters have been
(as opposed to most secular ones I've dealt with).

Anyway, I use RealPlayer 10 to stream music and video
from  www.christiantuner.com. That's all I can say.

Gabe

P.S.: I love the independant Christian music scene.