[CS-FSLUG] Shopping for a handheld

David Aikema david at aikema.net
Thu Dec 15 19:12:31 CST 2005

On 12/15/05, David McGlone <dmcglone at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I also would like wireless 802.11g if it's possible. If not will 802.11b work
> ok with an 802.11g wireless router?

In general I think that the answer to your question would be yes,
although perhaps with a qualification.  Currently, my Apple iBook
connects to the net via 802.11B to an 802.11G access point, and that's
worked without problems.

That said, on the access point (the current one is actually a
Microsoft-branded product that came free with the purchase of a
laptop, and replaced an older no-name brand access point), I think
that there are some settings that you may need to tweak.  There's a
setting within the access point that configures it to what the
software dubs "mixed-mode b", wherein the AP will deal with both
802.11B and 802.11G devices, taking advantage of the higher transfer
rates of 802.11G when possible.

Hope this helps,
David