[CS-FSLUG] OT: Math question

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 6 09:10:27 CST 2005

In family research, it is common to print an Ahnentafel report of
ancestors.  In this report, the primary person is #1.  After that, Males
are even numbers, Females are odd; for each person ("child"), the father is
"2*child" and mother is "husband+1" or "(2*child)+1".  To go from parent
back to child, divide by 2 and toss out remainder.  I have a program that
produces an ahnentafel report in html format, results shown here:
	http://bax.on.ca/FamTree/Ahnen.htm
The Ahnentafel "code number" is in first column of the html table.  Over
the weekend, I manually added the html code to colourise the rows because
it was hard to tell where each generation changed.  The pink rows show my
wife's ancestors, the blue ones are mine.

After 6 generations, there are no more ancestors for my wife's family, so I
switched to alternate shades of blue to better show change in
generations.  This should be easy to code based on generation number being
odd or even.  The yellow lines were changes/additions that I made yesterday
- there hadn't been any changes in 5 years before this past week.

Does anyone know how I can "calculate" the colour for a row (first 6
generations)?

Frank