[CS-FSLUG] OT: Re: Baptist?

James Thompson jwthompson2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 15:45:50 CST 2005

Well your greek is almost right. baptizo would be better translated 'I
am immersing', but then we couldn't argue about the proper mode of
baptizing if we translated the greek in this situation literally. But,
of course, as a baptist myself I am somewhat biased...

Baptismal Recipients or Baptismal Candidates would be easiest but then
it's not just one word...

-James

On 12/5/05, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2005, at 3:27 PM, Frank Bax wrote:
> > John the Baptist was the guy baptising people.  Is there a word for
> > the
> > person being baptised?
>

> Hmm... I'm not sure. We could make one up from Greek. :-) Baptizo is
> "I am baptizing," but Baptizomai is "I am baptizing myself" or "I am
> being baptized." That seems be fitting enough, so maybe we could call
> 'em baptizomais. :-) We could also do the infinitive, which would be
> baptizethai (to be being baptized).
>
> Of course, those sound kinda awkward. Maybe just calling them
> "baptizees" would make more sense.
>
>         -Tim
>
> ---
> Timothy R. Butler | "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
> tbutler at ofb.biz   |  The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> timothybutler.us  |  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> uninet.info       |  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
>                                                  -- W. B. Yeats

James W. Thompson, II (Louisville, KY)
http://thompsonsites.com/personal