[CS-FSLUG] OT: Re: Baptist?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Dec 5 15:35:53 CST 2005

On Dec 5, 2005, at 3:27 PM, Frank Bax wrote:
> John the Baptist was the guy baptising people.  Is there a word for
> the
> person being baptised?

Hmm... I'm not sure. We could make one up from Greek. :-) Baptizo is
"I am baptizing," but Baptizomai is "I am baptizing myself" or "I am
being baptized." That seems be fitting enough, so maybe we could call
'em baptizomais. :-) We could also do the infinitive, which would be
baptizethai (to be being baptized).

Of course, those sound kinda awkward. Maybe just calling them
"baptizees" would make more sense.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
tbutler at ofb.biz   |  The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
timothybutler.us  |  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
uninet.info       |  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
                                                 -- W. B. Yeats