[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Re: Interesting picture, creation vs. evolution

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Dec 5 14:29:30 CST 2005

On Dec 5, 2005, at 12:53 AM, Schalk Engelbrecht wrote:

> Guys - it comes down to what you believe!  Evolution is very simply
> put,
> a religion, packaged as science.  There can be no mixes and matches.

	I think that is a dangerous statement ("There can be no mixes and
matches"). Personally, I know a whole boatload of otherwise perfectly
theologically sound Christians that are very much in the Theistic
Evolution/Intelligent Design camp. To make Evolution exclusively
outside the realm of Christianity creates a needless wall to belief.
Evolution itself is simply a scientific hypothesis (or theory,
depending on your perspective); when it becomes a religion is when
you argue a materialistic worldview around it free from God or a
theistic world view with an Intelligent first cause to evolution.

	Genesis 1:1-2:2 are poetic in nature. Does that mean they aren't
literal? No, not at all. But, clearly some of it is not. For
instance, until their was an earth rotating, there could be no night
and day... literally. And, to God, is there ever night and day? Not
unless He only "lives" in one spot on the globe.

	The point isn't so much the rightness or wrongness of Creationism,
but whether it ought to be a barrier to faith.

	Shameless plug: http://sakamuyo.net/community/index.php/topic,
220.0.html

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Philosophy  always  requires  something  more,
Editor, OfB.biz   | requires the eternal,  the true, in contrast to
tbutler at ofb.biz   | which even the fullest existence as such is but
timothybutler.us  | a happy moment."
                                                -- Søren Kierkegaard