[CS-FSLUG] A short experience with Ubuntu

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 04:03:45 CDT 2005

On 8/29/05, Ralph De Witt <ralphdewitt at charter.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 28 August 2005 11:49 pm, Nathan T. wrote:
> > I've been looking for a good distribution to run on my laptop for
> > quite some time now, if only Mandriva had worked the search wouldn't
> > have been long, but then I also might not have tried any other
> > distributions and learned what I did about Ubuntu.

<snip>

> As Ubuntu and Kubuntu is free software and things like mp3 and wma are not
> open and free software things like that will not work out of the Box in
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu.
>
> As a Christian I find it odd that other christians want to violate the law and
> want to download codecs to get these formats working in Linux when they know
> that they are breaking the law.

You lost me here.  Since when has playing the MP3 format been illegal
under GNU/Linux?  If you can point me to the source of that info, I'd
much appreciate it.  My thinking is that, if you already have an MP3
file (legally obtained), it should be no problem to make it playable
under GNU/Linux.  I don't know about WMA.  There may be some sort of
license issue with producing MP3 files, but I don't think it should be
a problem to play them.

I haven't had any problems at all playing MP3's under SUSE, though I
rip my CD's to Ogg-Vorbis.  Still, if playing MP3's under GNU/Linux is
illegal, it was enabled by default by SUSE - I didn't do anything
special to make that happen.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist