[CS-FSLUG] WinXP "Myths"? Hmmmm...

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 22 13:11:45 CDT 2005

At 01:41 PM 8/22/05, Tim Young wrote:
>But, all things considered 32 or 64 mb is still WAAAYYYYY less than
>anything you will find in the Windows world.

Really?.  The article claims that WinXP will run in 64M.  Last year, Linux
(I forget which distro; MDK, I think) would not even install on 32M, but it
did with 64M.  So minimum RAM is the same.  Now of course, somebody is
bound to point out there are plenty of distros that will install/run on
systems with less than 64M; but I'm not so sure that's true of mainstream
distros with window manager installed.

>But, to run decent applications (open-office, gimp, etc) you will end up
>with the same machine desires (not requirements, but what you want for it
>ti function at a respectable speed).

This was, of course, my point.