[CS-FSLUG] WTB older laptop

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Aug 21 01:02:19 CDT 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, R. Thompson wrote:

>    What I'd like are:
>    - 200 MHz or better
>    - CD-ROM
>    - 3.5" disk drive, built in or external
>    - 600 x 800 or better display
>    - at least one USB port
>    - RS232 serial port
>    - PCMCIA ports
>    - Linux friendly

I have had nothing but good service from my Gateway Solo 2500. It's a
266Mhz, 160MB RAM, has CD-ROM, floppy, 2 USBs, 800x600, 2 PCMCIA ports,
and has run both Linux and FreeBSD. After much testing, I've settled on
RedHat 7.3 using the updates from the Fedora Legacy Project. It runs
pretty snappy with KDE 3.0.5a, and everything that I want to use runs
fine. I even get to use OpenOffice 1.1.4, though it's kinda slow.

--
Ed Hurst