[CS-FSLUG] NI: Novell Linux to be in Indiana Schools

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:26:29 CDT 2005

On 8/17/05, Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> At 01:12 PM 8/17/05, Don Parris wrote:
>
> >On 8/17/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Can someone tell me exactly what the reasoning behind giving every kid
> > > a computer is these days.
> > >
> >It's the information age.  Never mind that we can't give every kid a
> >plate of food every day, but they must have that computer.  That said,
> >this article appeared to me to be about putting computers in classrooms.
>

> Perhaps you missed this sentence:
>
>          starting with 1,600 desktops based on Intel(r) platforms
>          this fall and eventually providing a Linux(r) computer for
>          every student in every high school in the state.

I saw that.  I also read the 1st sentence:
"...has stated that thousands of high school students in Indiana will
return to class this fall to find something new at their desks -- a
Novell(r) Linux Desktop."

I also saw this paragraph:
"This initiative to achieve a 1:1 student-to-computer ratio in Indiana
high schools is driven by the learning needs of the students," Huffman
said. "But at the same time, cost is a huge issue. With Linux desktops
providing all of the functionality students need in an open
environment at an extremely low cost, schools will be better able to
educate students and prepare them for life after high school."

The indication is that the students will have desktop systems running
Novell Linux Desktop at their desks.  There is nothing about a laptop
giveaway in this article.  Nothing about the kids taking them home.
Rather, it seems to be about ensuring that, when each student gets to
school, they'll have a PC running Novell Linux Desktop.

Perhaps Nathan's comments are more of a related sidenote.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/