[CS-FSLUG] First things to do with SUSE

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 16 22:07:44 CDT 2005

> I would like to know how everyone else gets improved multimedia
> support and what the first things I should do with SUSE are?

Linux multimedia support is handicapped due to the lack of
cooperation of hardware manufacturers who refuse to allow
Linux developers to write Linux drivers for free because they
are beholden to Microsoft.

MPlayer is one of the most comprehensive apps but there are
some graphics products deliberately designed to be Linux-
unfriendly and for which they refuse to permit Linux-compatible
code to be developed.

As Linux grows in popularity and large corporations and
governments adopt it one may anticipate that the pressure to
allow Linux drivers for everything and Linux compatibility
for any product to be successful will finally overwhelm the
anti-competitive forces.

I am typing on a Suse 9.2 powered laptop at the moment.  My
other laptop, and older IBM 600X next to it runs Puppy Linux.
Quite frankly Puppy appears to do everything Suse does in a
fraction of the space and a whole lot quicker.

--
Respectfully,
David M. Colburn, D.Min, MACo, etc.