[CS-FSLUG] Microsoft CDs

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Aug 12 12:29:07 CDT 2005

Sorry I have not responded sooner.  Too busy.

The nature of the CD copy protection is to keep you from doing exactly
what you are doing.  Yes, there are some pretty bizarre moral issues
with it.  I was a software pirate before I realized it was ethically
wrong (I was about 14 years old at the time), and so I know a fair bit
about copy-protection...  You can approach Microsoft and ask them for
another CD, and they will replace it at a cost of $15 a CD I believe...

Since most people balk at purchasing the same CD again, there are a few
options available to you.  Most programs actually check to see that
certain tracks on the CD are not readable.  So just copying off the data
will not actually get you a copy of the CD.  BUT, there are many hacker
sites out there that have patched exe files that do not check for the
damaged sector while the CD is loading.  By writing the patched file
over the original file, when it loads, it does not check for the damaged
sector, and thus the backup copy actually works.

I am not speaking for the legality of this sort of solution, but that is
about the only way to make copies.  There are tools that can try to
recreate the damaged spots in the CD, but those damaged spots are hard
to get to burn properly, etc.

Yet another reason to love free software.

    - Tim Young