OpenSuse 10.0 beta - Was: [CS-FSLUG] Celeron (Mendocino)...

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Aug 11 18:09:12 CDT 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 6:50 pm, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > I don't know about 10.0, that is, how much better it is than 9.3. I DO
> > know that SUSE has really been working on this type of hardware, and in
> > fact, 9.3 was a big improvement over 9.2 on laptops. I'd say download it
> > and try it.
>
> Mr. Cranky says, "Not on my Compaq 1200." I ditched 9.3 and went back to
> 9.2. The primary reasons are two:

[snip]

Yes, but with all due respect, "Mr. Cranky," it is an old Compaq 1200, which
is among a number of 'puters that don't fair well.

Where SUSE has been working hard, is getting ALL of the WIFI support possible
- hardware wise, as well as Nics. Way too many makers of late are using a
Broadcom chipset, and Broadcom WON'T work with anyone - PERIOD - to develop
Linux drivers. I started a boycott of them already, not that it's done any
good, but if ALL Linux users contacted OEMs and ranted about their use of
Broadcom and why we won't support them, you'd soon see things change.

Fred

to you, at this time.