OpenSuse 10.0 beta - Was: [CS-FSLUG] Celeron (Mendocino)...

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Thu Aug 11 17:50:57 CDT 2005

Fred A. Miller wrote:

> I don't know about 10.0, that is, how much better it is than 9.3. I DO know
> that SUSE has really been working on this type of hardware, and in fact, 9.3
> was a big improvement over 9.2 on laptops. I'd say download it and try it.

Mr. Cranky says, "Not on my Compaq 1200." I ditched 9.3 and went back to
9.2. The primary reasons are two:

1. Bloat factor hit my 766Mhz system very hard between the two. It was
slow enough to be no fun at all. With 9.2, it's pretty snappy.

2. X.org is highly tweaked in 9.3, and I can no longer fix the font
display issues that give me ugly fonts on any app that doesn't run
through Xft. It seems they are *forcing* folks to use Xft. This includes
 going so far as to recompile Freetype with bytecode hinting turned on
-- it made no difference at all. Indeed, if I tried to use Freetype
straight from generic sources, X refused to run. I had to use the
official SRPM, and couldn't upgrade to a later version.

I didn't use it all that long because of these issues. Thus, I didn't
run into one other issue much which I heard from several faithful fans:
a new rash of insane dependencies. Those who didn't appreciate
OpenOffice beta were unable to remove it without breaking a slew of
dependencies they say were wholly unjustified. It was bad enough under
9.2 having to accept a bunch of really stupid "freefonts" to run Lyx,
when not a one of those fonts could be used in Lyx.

I still love SUSE, and I will run 9.2 on the laptop for now.

--
Ed Hurst