[CS-FSLUG] ISO Image Quality & Burn Speeds

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Thu Aug 11 05:44:43 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 23:54 -0400, Don Parris wrote:
> I'm running K3B 0.11.15cvs on SUSE 9.2 with a 1.3GHz CPU/256MB RAM.  The old
> boxes are the targets.  I use the burnfree option - perhaps I should turn
> that off?

No, definitely not, burnfree is a good thing.  It prevents buffer
underruns, especially on slow machines.  Burnfree is what makes late
model burners so reliable.

> K3B automatically checks the md5 hash prior to making the image
> available to me.

It checks the md5 against what is posted on the server you downloaded
from?  Or are you saving the file and it checks against it?

> When I ran the installation on the slower, target box, I
> got an error message suggesting I burn at a slower speed.  I don't know the
> cause - whether it's the Verbatim media, the burner (possible rotten apple
> in Sony's bushel), or the target drive.  The target box is a custom 300MHz
> box.

It could possibly be the old CD-ROM drive in the target machine can't
read CD-Rs very well as they came after the creation of the drive.
There are audio CD players that are years old that cannot read burned
CDs so I would not be surprised if there are CD-ROMs that don't have the
same problems as well.  I don't understand how the speed you burn on the
host machine has anything to do with the read quality on another machine
though...

> What I do know is that slower burn speed seems to equal better success.  The
> image is installed now, so it's kind of moot.  However, I am still open to
> suggestions.  Once I swap this old 300MHz box back out for my swap box, I'll
> be looking to play with installing Slack, Gentoo, etc. on the swap box till
> I need it again.  So I'll probably burn a few more ISOs.

MMmmmm, Slackware, my first linux love.
--
Brian

The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after
him.  -- Proverbs 20:7