[CS-FSLUG] ISO Image Quality & Burn Speeds

Don Parris evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org
Wed Aug 10 22:54:19 CDT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:51:45 -0700
David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/10/05, Brian Derr <bderr at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > As a quick aside, you said you're using xcdroast or something to that
> > nature, can it give you the command it is using?  Considering all the
>
> Could it be buffer underrun protection (burnproof or some such name)
> that he's missing.  I think Don mentioned burning on a somewhat slower
> machine, and that slower machine might get bogged down by other things
> during the write process.
>
> David

I'm running K3B 0.11.15cvs on SUSE 9.2 with a 1.3GHz CPU/256MB RAM.  The old
boxes are the targets.  I use the burnfree option - perhaps I should turn
that off?  K3B automatically checks the md5 hash prior to making the image
available to me.  When I ran the installation on the slower, target box, I
got an error message suggesting I burn at a slower speed.  I don't know the
cause - whether it's the Verbatim media, the burner (possible rotten apple
in Sony's bushel), or the target drive.  The target box is a custom 300MHz
box.

What I do know is that slower burn speed seems to equal better success.  The
image is installed now, so it's kind of moot.  However, I am still open to
suggestions.  Once I swap this old 300MHz box back out for my swap box, I'll
be looking to play with installing Slack, Gentoo, etc. on the swap box till
I need it again.  So I'll probably burn a few more ISOs.

Don
--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/                   http://chaddb.sourceforge.net/